Office of Independent Education & Parental Choice
News & Events
Technical Assistance Meeting for Entities Interested in Becoming a State-Approved Supplemental Educational Services Provider for the 2011-2012 School Year
The Florida Department of Education, Bureau of Federal Educational Programs, is pleased to announce the 2011-2012 Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Request for Applications (RFA) Technical Assistance Meeting scheduled for January 10, 2011, at the Rosen Centre Hotel. This meeting has been specifically designed for potential applicants and current providers interested in becoming state-approved SES providers for the 2011-2012 school year.
To register for this event, please visit the Department's website at: http://www.fldoe.org/flbpso/ . Registration will close Wednesday, December 29, 2010. For information regarding the hotel, please visit http://www.rosencentre.com/ . To make reservations, please call 1-(800) 204-7234 or (407) 996-9840. Please mention the "FDOE-RFA Technical Assistance Meeting" when reserving your room. Special rates are available and will expire December 19, 2010.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Samantha Love via e-mail at: Samantha.Love@fldoe.org , or by phone at (850) 245-0479.
More information is available at: http://info.fldoe.org/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-5947/dps-2010-208.pdf
Governor Crist Invites Students to Participate in Sunshine Week Essay Contest
Sunshine Week celebrates Florida's laws dedicated to making state and local government more accessible to the public
"This year's Sunshine Week Essay Contest provides an opportunity for high school students to focus on the First Amendment and the importance of open government," said Governor Crist. "Openness and transparency must be one of government's top priorities in order to ensure citizens can continue to hold their leaders accountable."
- Governor's Office Press Release(PDF, 28KB)
- For more information, please visit www.flgov.com/og_home.
The Literacy League book club is a new reading initiative designed to connect Florida's middle school students with their favorite authors in modern and innovative ways.
Free Health Assessment and Immunization Services Information from the Florida
Refugee Health Program.
For more information, contact the Florida Refugee Health Program at 850-245-4350
H1N1 (Swine) Influenza:
Information on H1N1 Swine Flu is available through the following resources and links:
- Florida Flu Information Line Now Available at 1-877-352-3581
- Latest on Guidance for Schools from the Florida Department of Health
- School planning information from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Your healthcare provider or local County Health Department is a great resource to obtain additional information. Find your local County Health Department
Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Providers:
- Florida Department of Education Office of Early Learning
- 2009-2010 Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener
- Agency for Workforce Innovation Office of Early Learning
- Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award Program (PDF, 35KB)
- Providing Services to Eligible Private School Children - Technical Assistance Paper (PDF)
- 2006 Legislative Changes Regarding Supplemental Education Services in Title I Schools (PDF)
- K12 Memo #2006-130, Requirements Relating to Records of Closed Private Schools (PDF)
- FDOE Paperless Communication - Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test® (FCAT) Concordant Scores for Meeting High School Graduation Requirements (PDF)
- 2009 Legislative Session: Summary of Bills Related to Scholarship Programs and Private Schools (PDF, 60KB)
- 2008 Legislative Session: Summary of Bills Related to Scholarship Programs and Private Schools (PDF, 60KB)
- Recently Passed - 2008:
- SB 526, Interscholastic and Intrascholastic Sports (PDF)
- HB 653, Corporate Income Tax Credit Scholarship Program (PDF)
- HB 1313, Students with Disabilities (PDF)
- SB 1712, Ethics in Education (PDF)
- Recently Passed - 2008: