Office of Independent Education & Parental Choice
Charter School Authorizers
Charter School Authorizers are key players in the Florida School Choice effort. As the agents for sponsoring and monitoring Florida's growing number of charter schools, authorizers play a vital role in educating and assisting applicants and new charter schools, developing solid, fair and workable contracts between the district and charter schools, and providing services and monitoring to ensure a quality education in an innovative environment. The Florida Department of Education seeks to support authorizers in these efforts by providing information and answering questions as they arise.
Below are links to information we hope will prove valuable.
- Within 15 calendar days after receipt of a charter school application, a sponsor shall report to the Department of Education the name of the applicant entity, the proposed charter school location, and its projected FTE.
- If an application is denied, the sponsor shall, within 10 calendar days after such denial, articulate in writing the specific reasons, based upon good cause, supporting its denial of the charter application and shall provide the letter of denial and supporting documentation to the applicant and to the Department of Education.
- For budget projection purposes, the sponsor shall report to the Department of Education the approval or denial of a charter application within 10 calendar days after such approval or denial.
- Review the 2011 Legislative Summary that summarizes changes affecting charter schools and sponsors.
- The annual Charter School Conference is scheduled from November 14-16, 2011.
- Check out current and archived Charter School Newsletters that are published and distributed monthly.
- Charter School Improvement Plans
- Charter School Capital Outlay and Class Size Reduction
- Funding and Financial Management of Charter Schools(PDF, File Not Found)
- Financial Condition Interactive Worksheet(PDF, File Not Found)
- Charter School Grant Administrative Fees
- Advanced Payment Federal Funds to Charter Schools(PDF, 58KB)
- Differentiated Accountability
- DOE Technical Assistance Contacts
- Principles & Standards for Quality Charter School Authorizing(PDF)
- NACSA Publications and Resources: Issue Briefs
The forms referenced below were adopted in Rule 6A-6.0786, F.A.C.:
- IEPC-M1: Model Charter School Application (PDF, 234KB)
- IEPC-M2: Model Application Evaluation Instrument (DOC, 260KB)
- IEPC-M3: Model Charter Contract (PDF, 187KB)
- Authorizer Sample Documents
The links below may provide additional useful information. By clicking on these links, you will leave the School Choice Web site.